A CONSCIOUS APPROACH TO SCOLIOSIS
March 28-29, 2020
WHO MAY ATTEND:
Physical Therapists, Physical Therapist Assistants, Certified Pilates Teachers, Certified or Licensed Athletic Trainers,
CONTINUING EDUCATION HOURS: (PMA and WPTA) Total Instructional hours: 13.5
TIME: Day 1 - 8:30am - 5:00pm, Day 2 - 8:00am - 4:30pm
LOCATION: Scoliosis Rehab Inc, 2918 Post Road, Stevens Point, WI 54481
Patti Orthwein, PT,
Beth Janssen, PT
Amy Beversdorf, MFA, NCPT
Course Description and Objectives
This 2 day course is designed to teach strategy for creating exercise programs for those affected by scoliosis and other spinal asymmetries. Movements taught include Pilates modifications using principles from the Schroth Method. This course uses Pilates in a way that addresses the importance of the 3-D aspect of scoliosis, and provides a whole body moving experience based on spinal tensegrity. Participants will learn exercise guidelines to avoid putting someone at risk for progression or injury. Exercises include beginning to advanced core strengthening that provide a solid post-rehab foundation prepare the scoliotic client to safely begin an exercise program.
Upon completion of the program participants will be able to:
* List the 4 guidelines for scoliosis exercises, based on Cobb angle and pathologies.
* Perform a screening for scoliosis.
* Demonstrate the ability to perform the Adams test using a Scoliometer.
* Define the exercise movement precautions related to scoliosis as defined by the Schroth method.
* Demonstrate teaching methods for the Movement Preparation Exercises.
* Demonstrate an understanding of traditional Pilates, modified for scoliosis.