A CONSCIOUS APPROACH TO SCOLIOSIS
April 10-11, 2021, Online via Zoom
Day 1 - 10:00am - 3:00pm
Day 2 - 10:00am - 3:00pm
COURSE IS APPROPRIATE FOR:
Physical Therapists, Pilates Teachers, Physical Therapy Assistants, Athletic Trainers
CONTINUING EDUCATION HOURS:
Pilates (PMA/NCPT) 8 CEC's
Physical Therapy (WPTA) 8.75 CEU's
Patti Orthwein, PT,
Amy Beversdorf, MFA, NCPT
Course Description and Objectives
This course is designed to teach strategy for creating exercise programs for those affected by scoliosis and other spinal asymmetries. Movements taught include Pilates modifications using principles from the Schroth Method. This course uses Pilates in a way that addresses the importance of the 3-D aspect of scoliosis, and provides a whole body moving experience based on spinal tensegrity. Participants will learn exercise guidelines to avoid putting someone at risk for progression or injury. Exercises include beginning to advanced core strengthening that provide a solid post-rehab foundation prepare the scoliotic client to safely begin an exercise program.
Upon completion participants will be able to:
* List the 4 guidelines for scoliosis exercises, based on Cobb angle and pathologies.
* Perform a screening for scoliosis.
* Demonstrate the ability to perform the Adams test using a Scoliometer.
* Define the exercise movement precautions related to scoliosis as defined by the Schroth method.
* Demonstrate teaching methods for the Movement Preparation Exercises.
* Demonstrate an understanding of traditional Pilates, modified for scoliosis.