FAQ

Frequently asked questions

How many people are affected by scoliosis?


The incidence of scoliosis is 2-3% of the population which translates to 6-9 million people in the United States.




Is it more prevalent for one gender?


Is the diagnosed equally amongst boys and girls, however girls are seven times more likely to require treatment.




What causes scoliosis?


80% of scoliosis is 'idiopathic' meaning there is no known cause. However, identified causes for the remaining 20% are congential, due to nuerological disorders, and/or muscular diseases.




Can a mindful approach to exercise benefit someone with scoliosis?


Mindful exercises can increase the awareness one has of their body moving in space and therfore promote muscle balance, proper alignment and ease of movment.




What is scoliosis?


Idiopathic scoliosis is a complex three dimensional deformity of the spine and trunk, which appears in apparently healthy children, and can progress in relation to multiple factors during any rapid period of growth, or later in life. - Scoliosis Journal, 2010